Everything You Need to Know About Heat StrokeAugust 24th, 2018
Did you know that the average high temperature in Philadelphia for the month of August is a whopping 85 degrees? Sunny skies may be great for a day at the pool, but high temperatures can also lead to a sudden killer—heat stroke. Heat stroke can cause permanent damage to the brain and is most common during the summer season.
Understanding the symptoms of heat stroke can potentially help you to save a life. The most common symptom of heat stroke is a high core body temperature of over 104 degrees. The following symptoms are also common in victims of heat stroke:
- Throbbing headaches.
- Red, dry, or scaly skin.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Dizziness, confusion, vertigo, or disorientation.
- Seizures or unconsciousness.
Heat stroke is a serious condition. If you suspect that someone you know is suffering from heat stroke, you should call 911 immediately. While you are waiting for help to arrive, you can help by administering the following first aid:
- Move the person to an air conditioned environment. Your primary goal should be to do whatever you can to lower the core body temperature. If your air conditioning has been broken, you can reduce the possibility of suffering heat stroke by seeking air conditioner repair in Philadelphia well before you need it.
- Continue to cool the person. Removing unnecessary clothing, fanning the person with your hands, and applying ice packs to the armpits and back can help to further lower the victim’s body temperature.
- Use ice baths sparingly. Ice baths (the process of submerging the body of the victim in a tub of ice) can quickly lower body temperature but may shock the system of the affected party. You should only consider using an ice bath if the person collapsed while vigorously exercising and if the victim is young and healthy.
Seeking AC repair in Montgomery County can make the summer more bearable…not to mention safer! If your air conditioning system has left you out in the heat, call Guaranteed Plumbing & Heating, Inc. today at 215-240-8610 and finish your summer with a bang!