What to Do if Your Basement Floods This WinterJanuary 25th, 2019
Few household issues can cause damage to your possessions and the structural integrity of your home like a flooded basement. Unfortunately, homeowners often find themselves dealing with frozen pipes in Philadelphia during the winter season and these pipes can quickly burst and cause flooding if unaddressed. If your basement floods this winter, don’t panic—just follow these steps.
- Shut off the power. First and foremost, you’ll want to cut power to your basement. Do not ever enter a flooded area while the power is on. If your power box is obstructed by flooding or you’re not sure how to shut your power off, call an electrician as soon as possible.
- Protect yourself. Flooding often causes bacteria, mold, and other hazards to come up from your pipes and drywall. Wear rubber boots and gloves to protect yourself and consider wearing a protective mask if you suffer from allergies or sensitivities.
- Locate the source of the flooding. Search your basement to locate the cause of the flooding. If no immediate cause is apparent, the weather is likely the culprit. If a pipe has burst in your basement, turn your water off and call for emergency plumbing in Philadelphia as soon as you notice it.
- Start pumping water out. If your home has a sump pump, use it to divert water from your basement to the outside of your home. If you don’t have a sump pump, a pool pump or a wet/dry vacuum can be used in a pinch depending on the amount of water in your home. After you’ve pumped the majority of the water out, use mops and rags to soak up the rest of the water.
- Move wet items out of the water. Move damaged items to a bright, well-ventilated area to dry. If the weather is good, an open-air patio or yard is the perfect spot for drying. Do not touch wet electronics like televisions or video game consoles until they have dried in-place.
No matter if you’re dealing with a busted pipe or an overflowing toilet, Guaranteed Plumbing & Heating, Inc. is here for you. Give our team a call today at 215-240-8610 to learn more or schedule an appointment for service!